Wednesday, June 13, 2012

ASPARAGUS & LEEK QUICHE

In my previous breakfast posts there have been pictures about my quiche, so I thought I would share the recipe with you. My new favourite breakfast item, but would also be great for a light dinner with a simple green salad using some market greens!


Asparagus, Leek & Gruyere Quiche (Adapted from Martha Stewart)

Ingredients:
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 leek (white and light green parts), halved and sliced thinly
- 1 bunch of asparagus, ends removed and cut up
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup 35% cream
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyere cheese (could always substitute for Swiss or Emmental cheese)
- 1 9-inch pie crust (store bought or homemade)
- Salt & pepper

Directions:
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- I like to pre bake my pie crusts a bit when I am making quiche, I find it keeps the bottom nice and crispy. I usually pre bake them (held down by pie weights) for about 10-12 minutes.
- In a pan heat the butter and add in the leek and asparagus. Cook over medium heat until tender, about 6-8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Leek & Asparagus Mixture

- In a bowl whisk together the eggs, cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg. 
- Once the crust has cooled, sprinkle the bottom with cheese and then layer the asparagus and then finish off with the rest of the cheese. 


- Pour egg mixture on top.
- Bake until the centre of the quiche is set. About 35 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment