Monday, April 30, 2012

POTATO SALAD

I love potato salad and always have! But I find it is something I never end up making - and only sort of indulge in when I am at a BBQ joint!

It used to be such a popular side dish for the sandwich time lunches but recently that seems not to be the case. One of my favourite restaurants The Gabardine (Bay & Richmond) serves some potato salad and a green salad with all their lunch sandwich options - and this was my inspiration for creating a crisp and crunchy potato salad.

It was my brother's birthday lunch yesterday and he wanted something simple - a BBQ. Burgers & dogs with caesar salad and another salad of my choice - what a perfect opportunity to test out the potato salad! Creamy - but lighter (as the mayo I use in the olive oil mayo), this salad was refreshing and packed full of crunchy vegetables and grainy mustard! I love the refreshing almost peppery bite you get from the radish and the pickle juice helps to round out the dressing! You could even add some chopped dill pickle in if you felt like it!



My Potato Salad
Serves 12 as a a side


Ingredients:
- 1 bag (about 25) baby new red potatoes
- 3/4 cup Hellman's mayo with olive oil
- 1/4 cup grainy mustard
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup pickle juice
- salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp honey
- 6 small radishes, diced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- 1/4 bunch of dill (reserve a few pieces for garnish)

Directions:
- Boil the potatoes until they slide off of the knife with ease when you test them
- Cut the potatoes into quarters and set aside
- In a bowl mix mayo, both mustards, lemon juice, honey, pickle juice and salt and pepper. Whisk until blended, taste and check seasoning
- Dice radish and celery
- Cut green onion
- Tear up dill
- Assemble the salad. Mix all ingredients in a bowl with the dressing and coat evenly
- Rest in fridge to chill

No comments:

Post a Comment