Monday, May 7, 2012

ROAST SHRIMP

I needed to find a second hors d'oeuvres for a catering event I was doing this weekend, and for some reason I was struggling! That was until I read about "Roasted Shrimp" in the Barefoot Contessa's cookbook. The idea to roast shrimp gave me the inspiration for my dish!

Ina's recipe started off by saying that she had never tried roast shrimp before, but how she loved that whenever she roasted something it tasted better, so why would that be any different with shrimp?! I have to say I was a bit skeptical because they were roasted simply, as per usual, with just olive oil, salt and pepper. Would they really be that special? Let me tell you - they were! I will never pan fry shrimp again after trying out this technique. The shrimp stayed moist and juicy, and the flavours one gets while roasting actually shone through!


So for the final plate I served roast shrimp with two different sauces. One was a jalapeño & cilantro mayonnaise and the second was my version of a cocktail sauce, made from ketchup, horseradish, hot sauce and lemon! Both sauces were really nice, the mayo full of refreshing flavours where the cocktail sauce kept the traditional shrimp flavour profiles!

Try them out at your next party, they were a definite crowd favourite!

Roast Shrimp:

Peel shrimp (you can take off the tail or leave it on, up to you!) toss in olive oil salt & pepper. Roast at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Serve warm!

- 1 bag frozen shrimp (whatever size you like, I chose smaller ones because they fit perfectly onto these great cocktail forks I bought!)
- Olive oil
- Salt & Pepper

Jalapeño & Cilantro Mayo:

In a blender, mix ingredients until finely blended. Chill & Serve

- 1/2 cup mayo (I always use the one with olive oil)
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 lime, juiced
- salt and pepper

My Cocktail Sauce:

Mix ingredients all together in a bowl, chill & serve.

- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup horseradish
- few dashes of hot sauce
- juice of one lemon (and zest too if you want a more citrusy flavour!)
- salt and pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment