Friday, July 2, 2010

EMMA'S EATERY: BAKED GOODS

This weekend is the kick-off for my summer baked goods! I spend a lot of my time at my cottage during the summer, and there is a store at the island where all the lake activity takes place; swimming, sailing and tennis. The one thing the store is missing though, is freshly baked goods. So I decided that this summer I would start selling my own products - especially pies, seeing as there are so many great summer fruits.

This morning I headed to the grocery store and came home with all the necessities for flaky pie crusts and scrumptious fillings. To start, the pie crusts. I have never really made crust from scratch before, so this was a new challenge for me. Twelve pie crusts later, and I think I have the hang of it - thank you The Joy of Cooking (the food bible!). My fillings today consisted of a classic apple pie and a delicious blueberry pie with a hint of lemon. I tried for the peach pies, but they just are not ripe enough right now. More to come though - hopefully raspberry (my fav!), strawberry-rhubarb (a summer classic) and peach. With such an abundance of fruit I think I am going to start making jams as well. Nothing better at the lake then starting off your morning with a good piece of multigrain bread and a thick serving of homemade jam!


For those of you Stoney Lakers - I will be selling my products at The Juniper Island Store most Friday, Saturday and Sundays! I also will be taking orders via the phone for weekends.


Here are some pictures of my pies, pre baking and then the finished product! I will also give you the recipe for the piece crust - it is so simple and so easy!

Pie Crust (The Joy of Cooking)

Ingredients:
Yields one 9 inch pie (but both a top and bottom layer)
note: for just a bottom crust, cut the recipe in half
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup lard or shortening (chilled)
- 2 tbsp butter (chilled)
- 4 tbsp cold water

Directions:
- In a bowl sift together flour and salt
- In another bowl combine and soften shortening and butter
- Add half of the shortening mixture to the flour bowl and mix until the texture feels somewhat flakey
- Add the reamining shortening mixture until you have a dough like consistency
- Add cold water and knead until you have formed a dough ball
- Chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes
Note: When you go to roll out the dough, you will probably need to add a little bit more water to it to get it moving, so it isn't too dry and crumbly.


photo credit: my own images

No comments:

Post a Comment