Is there any better dip than tzatziki?? Pronounced: tat-zik-y, a Greek specialty and delight! After two weeks in Greece, I'd have to say that it is the best!
Tzatziki is a traditional Greek sauce made from strained yogurt mixed with cucumbers, garlic, salt, olive oil, pepper, and lemon juice (some variations use dills, parsley or mint). Tzatziki is always served cold and usually is served with pita, souvlaki, or gyros.
Tzatziki is creamy and refreshing. It is perfect as a dip with pita, but I would truly put it on anything! It's delicious with pork/chicken/lamb souvlaki, fried calamari, and even better on a bite of saganaki. Being in Greece was wonderful as we had fresh tzatziki at each restaurant. I could just eat this stuff by the spoonful it's so good! Ask the girls I was traveling with, I was obsessed! It was great to see how each restaurant put their own twist on the delicious dip! It is served best drizzled with a bit of olive oil on top! You can pretty much buy tzatziki in any grocery store, but there is something so fresh making it yourself - try it out!
TZATZIKI by Ina Garten
- 1 pound (1 pint) plain yogurt (whole milk or low fat)
- 1 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled and seeded
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 1 tablespoon good olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh dill
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- Place the yogurt in a cheesecloth or paper towel-lined sieve and set it over a bowl.
- Grate the cucumber and toss it with 1 tablespoon of kosher salt; place it in another sieve, and set it over another bowl. Place both bowls in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 hours so the yogurt and cucumber can drain.
- Transfer the thickened yogurt to a large bowl.
- Squeeze as much liquid from the cucumber as you can and add the cucumber to the yogurt.
- Mix in the sour cream, vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, dill, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
- Garnish with an olive and a slice of cucumber
photo credit: google images