Tuesday, September 25, 2012

SCALLOPS

Finishing off with my seafood themed posts is one all about scallops. It took me a long time to learn to love scallops, and I don't quite know why. I think I always thought they would taste super fishy,but after lots of taste testing off the plates of others, I have come to the conclusion that they are just delectable.


When cooked well, scallops have a seared crisp and golden brown exterior with a butter soft texture on the inside. I always cook mine so that they more on the "medium rare" side instead of hard and firm. They taste much nicer this way! My grandfather always complains, because he says that no one ever asks you how you like your fish cooked, but they always ask about the meat! And it is true, over cooked fish or seafood is just unpleasant. So next time you are at a restaurant and ordering a beautiful piece of fish make sure to specify how you like it! A little pink on the centre is always the best (and completley safe)!

Last weekend for a dinner party that I catered, one of the menu appetizer options I was offereing was a seared scallop with a mango, peach & jalapeno salsa. Garnished with some cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime juice, this appetizer was a perfect light and refreshing bite that said goodbye to summer with a bang!

No comments:

Post a Comment