Monday, July 23, 2012

HERB SUMMER SALAD

Nothing is more refreshing on a hot summer day than a cool crisp summer salad.


My mom grows a great herb garden at our cottage, so this weekend I took advantage of the lovely herbs for the purpose of my lunch! You can really grow anything in the summer, and this year we planted basil, thyme, rosemary, mint, chives, and 2 types of parsley. I love herbs and think that they can really enhance all the beautiful outdoor summer flavours. Play around with them!




My key tips to a great summer salad:

1. Use a mix of lettuces: I like crisp romaine and peppery arugula
2. Use a variety of herbs: for this salad I used chopped up basil, mint and gorgeous chives
3. Add in a cheese: crumble in some goat cheese or feta
4. Pick a nut: pine nuts are my favourite, but pecans would be really nice in this as well
5. MAKE a dressing: No more store bought, making your own are so easy (For this salad I did 2:1 of olive oil and lemon juice. 1 tbsp of dijon and 2 tbsp of maple syrup, salt & pepper. Shake & serve)
6. Toss & enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment