Thursday, July 5, 2012

OYSTERS

Ever since returning from my June trip to NYC, my dad and I are obsessed with oysters! We went for dinner the other night to Starfish in Toronto. A popular oyster bar, and the only one in North America serving up a multitude of European oysters.


Oysters, known as a romantic food and a favourite of food lovers have been popular for centuries. I'm sure most of you did not know that a single oyster can incubate up to one million larvae and can do so more than once a year! Oysters, like all shellfish are low in calories and saturated fats, and are a great source of protein and contain omega-3 fatty acids. They also contribute to ones health by providing essential minerals and vitamins such as iron, zinc, copper and vitamin B12.


I find the best ways to enjoy oysters are with a squirt of lemon, some freshly grated horseradish and a little bit of homemade cocktail sauce! My second favourite way is with a sharp and tangy mignonette. A mignonette is a sauce which consists of shallots, vinegar and cracked pepper.


I really love east coast oysters, but recently tried some oysters from France which were just incredible! Plump, with a smooth taste, just great!

What are your favourite oysters?

My Version of Cocktail Sauce
Makes 1 cup

Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup of ketchup
- 1/2 cup of prepared horseradish
- zest of one lemon
- juice of one lemon
- few dashes of hot sauce
- salt and pepper

Directions:
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate until use.

No comments:

Post a Comment