Monday, April 18, 2011

BANOFFEE PIE

I have been dying to try out Chuck Hughes' Banoffee Pie and tonight I finally made it. The bottom layer of the pie is ground up Oreo's and melted butter, followed by caramel, bananas and whipping cream. Could it sound more heavenly?! I however stray a bit from Chuck's recipe, as instead of using boiled evaporated milk as the caramel, I made my own caramel. (Which for those of you who don't know, is SUPER easy and takes legitimately 10 minuets max!) This dessert was so great, fun to make, and a total hit with my family tonight! Give it a try!
 

Banoffee Pie
Serves 4

Ingredients: 

- 20
Oreo cookies
- 1/4
cup butter, melted (60 ml)
- 1
can of condensed milk (300 ml)
** ( Instead of this I made my own caramel. To do that: dissolve one cup of sugar into 1/3 cup of water. Bring to a boil on med-high heat stirring occasionally (5-7 minutes max). Once you reach a medium brown colour add in 1/3 cup of cream and thicken on low heat for about 2 minutes. Finish with a splash of vanilla and cool.)
- 2
ripe bananas, sliced

- Juice of 1 lemon

- 2
cups 35 % cream (500 ml)
(I used whipping cream instead)
- 1/4
cup icing sugar (60 ml)

- 2
tablespoons strong coffee (30 ml) 

 

Directions:
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F (180 C).

- In a food processor, add the cookies and process until it becomes a crumb like mixture. Add butter and process again. Set aside.

- Meanwhile, take the condensed milk can and place it in an oven-proof stockpot filled with water. DO NOT OPEN THE CAN. Make sure the can is constantly covered in water. Bake in the oven for 3 ½ hours. Remove, let cool, open and set aside.

- In a bowl, mix the bananas with lemon juice. Set aside.

- Whip the cream with icing sugar and coffee in another bowl until soft peaks form.
 

To serve: Using a round 4 inch mold directly on the serving plate, put a layer of the cookie mixture, then the slices of bananas, cover with the condensed milk (now toffee) and repeat the layers. Remove the mold and garnish with a dollop of cream. (I just used a regular circle cake mold as my cake was for a family of 8!) 

 

photo credit: my sissy

1 comment:

  1. The Chuck Hughes recipe calls for sweetened condensed milk, which is not evaporated milk, and 2/3 cup of fluid would not be equivalent to 300mL.

    ReplyDelete