Monday, May 28, 2012

CRANBERRY & APRICOT BUTTERMILK SCONES

With the recent launch of my own catering business, I have found that clients are constantly having breakfast meetings! For a breakfast I offer scones, bagels & muffins (with fruits, jams, and then of course you can always include homemade granola and yoghurt) - but to make sure that I am not repetitive I like to switch up my scones recipes & flavours.



This weeks batch is from Trish Magwoods "In My Mother's Kitchen." After last week and being on set with Trish, I knew I wanted to cook out of her book. The recipe is dead simple and so delicious. The buttermilk gives the scone a nice tangy flavour without being overpowered by acridity (as you would be if you used a lemon for example). The scones are rich & creamy, something luxurious to bite into first thing in the morning. Trust me. Make these.

Cranberry & Apricot Buttermilk Scones


Ingredients:
- 3 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubes
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup buttermilk plus 1 tbsp for brushing
- 1/4 cup rock sugar, for dusting

Directions:
- Preheat oven to 375 & line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add butter and pulse just until mixture resembles coarse meal, leaving a few pea-sized pieces of butter.
- Pour into a bowl. Using a fork, stir in apricots and cranberries until mixed throughout. Stir in buttermilk just until incorporated. Do not over-mix.
- Gather dough into a ball until it just holds together. Transfer dough to a floured surface and knead
briefly.


- Press into a circle about 2 cm thick. Cut into 8 triangles (or circles like I did). Transfer to prepared cookie sheet. Brush tops with buttermilk & sprinkle with sugar.


- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden, serve warm






No comments:

Post a Comment